This post contains affiliate links. We may earn a small commission if you buy any products, which helps support my blog.
If you own a sauna, you know how relaxing and beneficial it can be for your health and well-being. But do you also know how to keep your sauna clean and well-maintained?
A sauna is not just a wooden box that heats up; it is a delicate environment that requires proper care and attention to last longer and perform better. In this article, we will show you the top sauna cleaners and wood treatments that will help you achieve ultimate sauna care. We will also share some tips and tricks from our own experience as sauna experts at Sauna Genius.
What are the best sauna cleaners and wood treatments?
The best sauna cleaners and wood treatments are products that are specially designed to remove dirt, sweat, stains, bacteria, mold, and mildew from the wood surfaces of your sauna. They are also products that protect and restore the natural beauty and durability of the wood, preventing cracks, warping, fading, and discoloration.
The best sauna cleaners and wood treatments are:
- Safe to use on sauna wood, without damaging or altering its properties
- Effective in removing impurities and sanitizing the sauna
- Easy to apply and rinse off
- Biodegradable and eco-friendly
- Pleasantly scented or odorless
There are many types of sauna cleaners and wood treatments available on the market, but not all of them meet these criteria. Some may contain harsh chemicals that can harm the wood or your health, while others may not be effective enough to keep your sauna in top condition.
To help you choose the best products for your sauna, we have reviewed the top-rated and most effective cleaners and treatments based on our own experience and customer feedback. Here are our recommendations:
1. Northern Lights Group Sauna Cleaner & Sanitize
This is our top pick for the best sauna cleaner because it works on both finished and unfinished wood, as well as glass, metal, plastic, and tile.
It is a 100% biodegradable product that contains no harsh chemicals or additives. It is a non-toxic blend of aromatic oils and highly refined, food grade, clear petroleum based oil.
It can be used to clean wet and dry areas of your sauna, using about 3 capfuls for every 5 liters of water. It forms an attractive, subtle, glossy finish on the wood that enhances its natural beauty. It also sanitizes and deodorizes your sauna, leaving a pleasant cedar scent.
2. Bathology Sauna Wood Cleaner
This is another great option for cleaning your sauna wood.
It is a concentrated formula that can be diluted with water according to your needs. It is a mild cleaner that removes dirt, sweat, stains, bacteria, mold, and mildew from the wood without damaging it. It also restores the natural color and luster of the wood, making it look new again.
It is safe to use on all types of wood, including cedar, hemlock, spruce, pine, aspen, alder, basswood, etc. It has a neutral pH that does not affect the acidity or alkalinity of the wood. It is also biodegradable and eco-friendly.
3. Scandia All Natural Sauna Wood Oil
This is our top pick for the best sauna wood treatment because it is an all-natural product that protects and restores the wood from within. It is made from pure paraffin oil that penetrates deep into the wood fibers, sealing them from moisture and heat damage.
It also prevents cracking, warping, fading, and discoloration of the wood over time.
It enhances the natural grain and color of the wood, giving it a rich and warm appearance. It also adds a subtle cedar fragrance to your sauna. It can be used for interior and exterior applications on any type of wood.
It is easy to apply with a brush or cloth, overlapping during application will not cause lap marks; one gallon will cover approximately 600 to 800 sq. ft. of surface area, which is enough for even a large sauna.
4. Sauna Wood Oil Treatment Kit
This is another excellent choice for treating your sauna wood. It is a kit that contains everything you need to oil your sauna: a gallon of pure paraffin oil (same as Scandia), a brush applicator with handle extension pole (for hard-to-reach areas), a pair of gloves (to protect your hands), a drop cloth (to protect your floor), and an instruction manual (to guide you through the process). It is a complete solution that saves you time and money by providing all the necessary tools in one package. It works on any type of wood and provides the same benefits as Scandia oil: protection, restoration, enhancement, and fragrance.
5. Sauna Wood Cleaner 8oz
This is a simple but effective product for cleaning your sauna wood. It is a liquid cleaner that can be sprayed or wiped on the wood surfaces, using a soft cloth or sponge.
It removes dirt, sweat, stains, bacteria, mold, and mildew from the wood without harming it. It also brightens and refreshes the wood color, making it look clean and fresh. It is safe to use on all types of wood and has a mild cedar scent. It is biodegradable and eco-friendly.
How to use sauna cleaners and wood treatments
Using sauna cleaners and wood treatments is not difficult, but it requires some care and attention. Here are some general tips and steps to follow:
- Always read the instructions and warnings on the product labels before using them.
- Always wear protective gloves and eye wear when handling the products.
- Always test the products on a small inconspicuous area of the wood before applying them on the entire surface.
- Always clean your sauna before treating it with oil or other products.
- Always turn off your sauna and let it cool down completely before cleaning or treating it.
- Always use a soft cloth, sponge, or brush to apply the products, avoiding abrasive materials that can scratch the wood.
- Always rinse off the products thoroughly with clean water after using them, unless otherwise instructed.
- Always let the wood dry completely before turning on your sauna again.
- Always apply the products in thin and even coats, overlapping slightly to avoid lap marks.
- Always follow the recommended frequency of application for each product, depending on your sauna usage and condition.
The ultimate guide to sauna care
Sauna cleaners and wood treatments are essential products for keeping your sauna in optimal condition, but they are not the only ones.
There are other aspects of sauna care that you should also consider, such as:
- Sauna etiquette: This refers to the rules and manners that you should follow when using your sauna, such as showering before entering, wearing appropriate clothing or towels, keeping food and drinks out of the sauna, avoiding loud noises and conversations, respecting other users’ privacy and preferences, etc. Sauna etiquette not only makes your sauna experience more enjoyable and comfortable, but also helps keep your sauna clean and hygienic.
- Sauna accessories: These are items that can enhance your sauna experience and comfort, such as thermometers, hygrometers, timers, buckets, ladles, aromatherapy oils, backrests, headrests, pillows, cushions, mats, robes, slippers, etc. Sauna accessories can also help you customize your sauna to your liking and needs. However, you should always choose accessories that are suitable for high temperatures and humidity, and that are easy to clean and maintain.
- Sauna safety: This refers to the precautions that you should take to prevent accidents and injuries in your sauna, such as checking the electrical wiring and connections regularly, keeping flammable materials away from the heater or stove, installing smoke detectors and fire extinguishers nearby, avoiding alcohol or drugs before or during your sauna session, staying hydrated and taking breaks as needed, consulting your doctor before using a sauna if you have any medical conditions or concerns, etc. Sauna safety is crucial for your health and well-being.
By following these tips and steps for ultimate sauna care, you will be able to enjoy your sauna for many years to come. You will also reap the benefits of regular sauna use, such as improved circulation, detoxification, relaxation, stress relief, pain relief, skin health, immunity boost, etc. A sauna is not just a luxury; it is an investment in your quality of life.
Looking for more tips? Read my guide: How to Clean a Sauna? Tips for Keeping Your Sauna Clean and Which Products to Use to Clean It
Frequently Asked Questions about Sauna Cleaners & Wood Treatment Products
The best way to care for your sauna
A sauna is a wonderful addition to any home or spa. It can provide you with countless hours of relaxation and wellness.
But to keep your sauna in top shape and performance, you need to take good care of it. You need to clean it regularly with the best sauna cleaners and treat it periodically with the best wood treatments. You also need to follow proper sauna etiquette, use appropriate accessories, and practice safety measures.
By doing so, you will extend the lifespan of your sauna and enhance its beauty and functionality. You will also enjoy a more satisfying and rewarding sauna experience every time.