This post contains affiliate links.
A sauna hat is a head covering worn while in a sauna. It is intended to protect your head and ears from heat. Sauna hats can also protect especially dyed hair. The materials used to make sauna hats vary, with traditional sauna hats made of sheep or alpaca wool and modern sauna hats made from cotton or linen.
My recommendations for the best sauna hats:
Shop for more sauna hats on Amazon!
In this article, I want to share my experience with sauna hats (sometimes called sauna caps or banya hats) and why I think they’re a great addition to anyone’s sauna routine. I’ll also be discussing the different types of sauna hats available and how to use them.
Whether you’re a sauna veteran or just starting out, I believe you’ll find this information useful.
Why Use a Sauna Hat?
A sauna hat is used to even out temperature differences in your body during a sauna session. It does not prevent sweating, which is important for a proper sauna experience. It can also be beneficial for those with heart or circulatory issues. It is important to use the right type of sauna cap.
A sauna hat can also protect hair from heat damage and may help with post-sauna headaches. However, headaches can also be caused by dehydration and poor air circulation in a sauna. It’s important to ensure proper air conditioning and hydration to prevent headaches.
?Did you know? In cold climates, like in Finland, people often use sauna hats in outdoor hot tubs or when going ice swimming to protect their heads from the cold.
Benefits of Sauna Hats
- Protect your head from heat
- Protects ears from heat
- Protects treated and colored hair
- Keeps the body temperature constant throughout the sauna
- Enhances the absorption of the conditioner and protects the hair at the same time
- Slows down the development of split hairs
Especially those experiencing heart or blood circulation problems should use the right type of sauna cap. If the symptoms are bad, it’s a good idea to talk to your doctor about going a sauna.
Buyer’s Guide: What Look for When Buying a Sauna Hat
Here are some tips for buying the best type of sauna hat:
- Sheep or alpaca wool at the best material for sauna hats
- Cotton and linen are also common materials
- Avoid hats that contain plastic or metal parts
- Hats without seams are often the best and most comfortable options – seamless felt sauna hats are very common
- Make sure the hat is comfortable and fits you well
- Choose a hat that you like – there are countless designs available!
?Tip: Wool felt sauna hats don’t need to be washed because real wool hats are antimicrobial and don’t smell even when they come in contact with sweat.
Have you tried wearing a sauna hat? If you have any feedback or questions, I would love to hear them in the comment below. Thanks for reading!